- Provides oxygen to muscles
- Expels waste products
- Burns fat
- Relieves depression
- Helps prevent cancer
- Slows the ageing process
- Reduces the risk of heart disease
- Increases the levels of HDL cholesterol in your body (the good cholesterol!)
- Improves sleep
- Improves mental sharpness
Fun (and surprising!) Facts About Aerobic Exercise:
- Increases the size of your mitochondria, which provide energy to the body
- Incrases the levels of enzymes that turn fuels into energy in the body
- Over 45 minutes of aerobic exercise can have reverse and dangerous effects on the body
- For every 1 hour of aerobic exercise you do, you add 2 hours to your life span
- Sports (basketball, baseball etc…) don’t provide the sustained level of metabolism that you need to develop a greater level of aerobic fitness
- 20-30 minutes of aerobic exercise is ideal (at least 2-3x a week)
- Walking is not very effective when it comes to aerobic exercise. You need to exercise at 55-85% of your max heart rate (max heart rate per individual is 220-your age) in order to improve your aerobic fitness and walking does not usually fall into the 55-85% zone.
- Treadmills are not always the best form of aerobic exercise. The amount of trauma to your skeletal joints ranges from 2-3x your body weight EACH time your foot hits the treadmill. This puts a ton of stress on your body, which can easily make you susceptible to injury.
Learn anything new?
What is your favourite form of aerobic exercise?